2011/11/13

fail of the day: losing one's way

After a lazy Saturday + half a slothful (is that even a word?) Sunday I decided it was time to drag my sorry behind out in the real world and go for a run. As I already spend a lot of time at the gym and the weather was lush (20 degrees or so!) I thought I'd take it outside. I've done it before and I have a route of sorts that I usually go on, so I felt confident. Oh, dear, little did I know.

For I planned a short run, 30 minutes or so, as I tend to get quite bored. So off I went, following the river. With Eric Saade and Mr Saxobeat busting on top volume in my ears I jogged along without any major trouble. Then all of a sudden the river was gone. I have no idea how it happened. Somewhere, somehow, I took a wrong turn and I found myself basically lost. And rather than retracing my steps I decided to find my own way back. Bad, bad decision. After fifteen minutes or so I was further away from the river than ever, and a lot more lost than before. Again, rather than retracing my steps, or even asking someone, I continued on following my instinct. Bad, BAD, decision. Utterly lost, and the street signs did not even hint towards my area. They said Kawasaki and Motosumiyoshi, which are both about 10 minutes away by train!

Finally I managed to find the railway and luckily (!) a train just passed, heading towards Hiyoshi, my area. I had enough sense to follow the tracks and soon found myself in the centre of Motosumiyoshi - on the main shopping street! Remember this was Sunday afternoon/evening = lots of people, Christmas decorations and lights everywhere - and then me, sweaty, lost and getting quasi-desperate (and superblonde as I dyed my hair today...)! Not a splendid sight, or maybe amazingly splendid, I don't know.

Aanyway, long story short(-er), I ended up asking someone after having ventured on small dodgy streets in the dark (thank deity-of-your-choice that I'm in one of the safest countries in the world; UK/Sweden, and I would not be alive to tell the tale) and they pointed me in the right direction. My 30 minute run transformed into around 1 hour 40 minutes. Of course that includes me stopping and staring at maps, turning 360 degrees a couple of times, changing direction, running back and forth etc.

As a reward/comfort after this traumatic experience I went to Starbucks with a friend afterwards (photo stolen from her) for a nice large cup of coffee. I discovered they DO have the Gingerbread Latte! Come December, I shall have one of those bad boys. And/or a Chai Latte. Yes, veganism has been temporarily semi-abandoned.

Plans for the week are not particularly impressive: tutoring (getting the monetas!), studying (presentation and essays and kanji test), volleyballing (wiie!), gymming (yay?), and the beginning of Mita Fest - a huge school festival at Keio! They're expecting over 200,000 visitors during the week in which it takes place. Watch this space for full coverage.

Ta!

Jo x

No comments:

Post a Comment