2011/12/06

decembertimes

The Swedish Embassy has a Christmas market each year, and as I'm involved with the Swedish School, which is in itself closely connected to (and funded by) the embassy, I went. Truth be told, I would have gone anyway. Being abroad makes me insatiably nationalistic, and I would never pass up on a chance to mull around in Swedishness.

So the market. It was crap. But nice crap. They had some food stalls with gingerbread biscuits, mulled wine (glögg), sandwiches with salmon (not to solidify any stereotypes but...) and so on, and a bookstand with Swedish books selling for 100 yen = 10 SEK or 80p! I got two by Jonas Gardell that I've been wanting to read for a while but never really felt like paying £8 for. I win!There was Father Christmas (basking in the sunshine - hello 20 degrees!) walking around, greeting the children.

Oh, and of course the 'main event' = my kids' performance. The students at the Swedish School have been practicing for weeks - weeks I tell you! - for this day. In Sweden there is a tradition on December 13 which is St Lucia's day. On this day typically schools will hold events where the kids dress up in white gowns, put glitter in the hair (girls) or wear cone-shaped hats, and then they walk in a line and sing pretty songs. Sound weird? Take a look at this video and it will (maybe) make more sense:


So that's what my kids did, and quite successfully so I might add! Also there was the raffle. Tempted by the epic prices - e.g. return flight to Sweden with SAS (super nice airline), Swedish schnaps, gift cards to H&M etc etc - I bought one ticket, got number 77 (lucky lucky lucky!) and counted all my little chickens at once. Of course I won nothing.

Anyhuu, was nice with some Swedish feeling and hearing rich people speak (Hilfiger and LV everywhere one looked!) the lingo.

Then my friend had a concert in Shimbashi. I'm not a huge fan of ensemble music, but when they whisked out the Disney medley and the conductor wore Mickey Mouse-gloves, I was as happy as ever. My friend plays the violin.
That's all for now. Not much else happening at the moment, I'm afraid. I played volleyball again tonight and it rocked! Actually starting to understand some of the game now, and it makes it so much more fun. Blocks here, a (semi-)smash there - you name it. And the occasional 'what-the-F-are-my-hands-doing-shot, but those are of lesser importance. 

Tomorrow is coat-getting day. It's getting difficult to deny winter now, even here. 10 degrees today - BRR!

Jo x

No comments:

Post a Comment