2011/12/02

mochified

 Mochi. It is a Japanese rice product, made from sticky rice. You can eat it with anything, either together with other foods or on its own. Now, I don't like mochi. I tried it with tofu and it almost made me gag. So, naturally, I decided to join the mochi-making event this weekend (Miss Logic, at your service). But let me tell you this - I am mochified. I love it! I think it's a little bit like olives: you have to stuff yourself with it to like it (and if you don't like it after a good stuffing, you never will).

Right, so first you pound the mochi into a paste (see pic right). This is done with a huge wooden club which kind of leaves little traces of wood in the mochi if you pound too hard. Maybe it adds taste?

 

Anyhuu, that done, you get this risgrynsgröt-looking sticky paste which you'll then shape into small round-ish balls.
 
Then you roll it in either kinako (soybean flour + sugar), ankô (red bean paste), goma (sesame + sugar).
kinako (def the best one)
ankô

 Or you can eat it proper stereotypical Japanese style: nori (seaweed) + soy sauce. Very odd taste.

goma
So now I'm in love with mochi and shall be eating it more often. Seeing as it makes you very full and very sick, my friends and I thought it's probably a good diet. Perhaps I should try out the Mochi Diet and report back results. The Chocolate Diet did not work the way I hoped.

Jo x

No comments:

Post a Comment