2012/04/21

shake that thing

What an interesting day. I finally managed to convince (drag) someone to go to classes with me at the fancy-schmancy gym as I've been far too much of a chicken the past 5 months to go on my own. Boy, am I glad I waited? At least this way, we could look stupid together. And look stupid we did (I'm sure Corey would agree).

Ever tried Aerobics? Well, I have. Once before. When I was 14. Wasn't a fan then, and certainly isn't one now. But I'm getting ahead of myself. The first 30 minutes were fine. It was a Dance class (beginners' level, but ssshh!) and although the elderly ladies did the gangsta' style moves a hell of a lot smoother than either of us, we did OK I must say.

We felt good; we felt confident. So filled with this hype we ventured to Aerobics. My, oh, my. You know when you join a group of people who have been together fore-e-e-ver and you feel like a complete intruder? Yeah, that. Take that feeling times roughly ten thousand! This collection of sweatbanded, matching-tracksuit-pieces-wearing, and exceedingly experienced exercisers collectively stared us down as we walked in to the room. (I tried to blend in with my basketball outfit and long blonde braided pigtail but I think I can safely say I failed - miserably.)

I don't know if the instructor tried to discourage us but after the warm-up Corey and I looked at each other, both with that subtle shred of fear mixed with pain in our eyes. Up until then it had been bad enough, and we knew what was coming. Speed increase, step combination difficulty increase, and hand movements which I don't think is physically possible for a human brain to comprehend - let alone DO while moving the feet in a particular way simultaneously.

What did we learn from this little adventure then? Absolutely nothing, it seems. Tomorrow we're headed to a trial run of Zumba (if you live under a rock and have never heard of it - youtube, and enjoy our imminent torture)! In other words, another opportunity to look incredibly and unexcusably stupid!

Bring it on.

Jo x

No comments:

Post a Comment