2012/07/07

veggie adventure V: rainbow bird


Again, again, again! A quiet Saturday with zero fancy of studying, and a growing anxiety about leaving Japan soon led me to explore yet untrampled soil (well, concrete) of Tokyo and what better to do than find another veggie place to visit? My plan was to head to Daikanyama, a trendy area just outside Shibuya, but the one place located there had according to my sources been closed down. Instead, I found this little gem - Rainbow Bird Rendezvous close to Naka-Meguro, only one stop away.

It was easy to find, surprisingly so, and only took about 10 minutes from the train station in two fairly straight lines. Inside I met a cosy, pleasant, serene atmosphere. Here, no cell phones are allowed, and there is a stack of flyers/info brochures on vegetarianism in one corner, and a small shop with products in another. They had rice milk, organic oil, and raw food bars for example. A little expensive of course, but a nice touch.

No cell phones allowed but I sneakily took some photos while the owner was cooking. There was such a lovely atmosphere and a place you'd like to stay in for a long, long time.


FOOD!


Upon the question - in ENGLISH - if I needed an English menu I inexplicably politely said no, that I was fine. Typical idiot JoJo behaviour. Faced with the kanjikanjikanji Japanese menu thus, I deciphered the part I understood, which quite frankly is enough in these places. Knowing that everything on the menu will be vegetarian is a comfort. It can't go too wrong. There were some salads, a soup plate, a potato one, and something else I didn't quite understand. I found the above - a soy meat plate. 1,200 yen and one of the most expensive dishes - most were around 1,000 yen so not much difference.

The green drink is a 'Healthy smoothie' made from apples, greens, banana, and carrots. At 500 yen it's a little pricey, but oh my gosh it was good. Definitely making that one at soon as I can access a blender.


Deep-fried soy meat with salad and rice underneath. Not as fatty as the previous fried soy meat, and very good. Bit dry maybe, but I love Japanese rice so it's all good.


The second part of the plate: miso soup (yum!), some fried veggies, and some pure belly-therapy-delicious mix with chickpeas and spices on the side. All in all a nice selection of items, and plenty of food for one!



They speak some English, but Master as I am, I did it all in Japanese, and the waiter was mightily impressed when I pulled out my notes for the conversation final on Monday. This place is like being in a friend's garden or conservatory - you can make yourself at home, and it's a great opportunity to escape the outside world for an hour, while munching on lovely food. They had a raw food chocolate cake which I sadly did not try.

Cannot recommend this place enough!

Link: http://www.ls-adventure.com/

Jo x

No comments:

Post a Comment