2012/05/11

animal walk tokyo 2012


This morning I ventured bright and early to Yoyogi Koen, a huge public park in central Tokyo, to volunteer at the annual Animal Walk Tokyo, this year for the benefit of SALA (Save Animals Love Animals).

What it was, was basically a stroll around the park with dogs. The fee and the sales from goodies all went to SALA, and I think we raised a decent amount of money.

As a volunteer I got a dog to care of during the walk, and was simply there to talk to people and introduce my dog buddy. His name was Brian (above), 8 years old, and a retired service dog. He's lived most of his life at the SALA center and nobody wants to take him home, poor whoof :(

 Tiffany, Brian's sister and soul mate. Inseparable the two!



This one was rescued from Fukushima after the tsunami. So adorable! Except when he (yes, HE) incessantly tried to hump my Brian. Brian was not amused.

 Spud - softest little ball of fur there. And über friendly.

 Brian again. 

Hopefully I can find more events like this, or simple fundraising ones for SALA or some other animal welfare organisation in Tokyo before I have to leave. There were mostly foreign people, and primarily Americans, and it was so interesting hearing why people were in Japan, and where they came from etc. Such a big world, and I've seen nothing of it!

On a side note, I got the question 'What part of the US are you from?' Before my semi-insulted feeling (I have a British accent, dammit!) had passed, a UK girl assumed that I was from London, so overall content.

Finally, support SALA if you like companion animals. They do great work to save those who cannot save themselves. Visit their website here: http://www.salanetwork.or.jp/

Jo x

2 comments:

  1. Are these people deaf?!!? Cool dogs btw ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jag älskar allihopp! Dom kan flytta in hos mig:)

    ReplyDelete