2012/05/20

oh, tokyo...

...you nutty, capricious, and utterly insane city! It's sort of one of those 'you had to be there' kind of situations, but I still feel the need to mention it and exclaim, once more, my love for this capital. So many scenarios which are followed by the words 'Only in Tokyo.'

We went out Thursday, for the first time in a long, long time. Four girls, two guys. The night held a few separate incidents which together made it completely unforgettable. As such.

First, we arrived at the club at midnight, and it was empty, quite literally. First thing that happens is that a tall, muscular, sort of-kind of good-looking man saunters (waggles?) up to us, drunk as a duck, and asks if we're English. Turns out he's from Essex (if you don't know Essex...well imagine Jersey Shore, but British) and mighty proud of it too! So he went on to do what most foreign 30-something people do here - brag about his work and money, and follow that up with topless moves on the dance floor. Alone.

After all the Jagger moves were done and dusted, and we felt the oppressing stench of sweat and smoke get the best of us, we sought freer landscapes. Outside there was a little space where people could sit and relax, or in most cases - sleep it off. There was the girl who, speaking to her friend on the cell, got up, rather unstable on her high heels, anxiously repeating "my phone, my phone I can't find my phone!" - only to, after about 5-10 seconds, realise her mistake.

As is appropriate in such situations we went in hunt for food in wait for the first train. Being in Japan and all, we ended up in a noodle place and witnessed a glorious, glorious moment! Naturally people were sleeping at most tables, but one girl had managed to fall asleep head first into her noodle bowl. Which wasn't empty. One of the waitresses came to wake her up and as she lifted her head up, the soup was dripping from her fringe. According to my friend she said "this is the worst day ever." Poor girl. Me, I'm only sad that we didn't manage to get a photo.

Truth is, you never know what's going to happen when you step outside your door here. Expect anything, and you still will not be prepared for all that Tokyo has to offer. The unpredictability is partly why I love this city, and I hope to have more random moments before I have to make my bittersweet return to Europe.

So, another day has dawned...Tokyo, hit me!

Jo x

No comments:

Post a Comment