2011/10/07

Fail of the Day

Explored the other international café in Hiyoshi today - Tully's. Fresh out of Basic Japanese Conversation class where we practised how to talk about food, as ever full of confidence, I went in. Looked at their board with drinks (thankfully in English). Spotted a very interesting drink - Açai Soy Berry. Sounds rather self-explanatory but I wanted to know what it was so retrieved what I'd just done in class from my mind. Went up to the counter...

And said it perfectly. It's a very simple phrase, but still. So then - what's the fail?

Well, of course, as I asked in Japanese, the girl replied in Japanese. And not the slow kind, no. I doubt even locals can follow that. Yibberiyabberiyibberiyabberi was what I heard. All I could do was stand there, occasionally nod and say "aah, soo deska" (basically means "aah, ok.") and pretend I had even the faintest idea what she was on about.

Ultimately I decided it was simply a soy milk drink with açai berry and ordered it.  Yummy indeed.

Jo x

No comments:

Post a Comment