2011/10/30

halloween

 I may have mentioned this fact before, but here you go again: Halloween is HUGE in Japan. And I mean huge. Parties go on everywhere from Friday to Monday and people dress up in serious costumes. A lot of slutty she-devils as per UK/Sweden, but also Pikachus, Willy Wonkas etc. Saturday we went to a club in Shibuya for a party organised by a student's organisation.

I finally, finally had a legitimate reason to realise my Sailor Moon dreams and suited up in a semi-colour-matched costume (note the Swedish colours!) and over-knee socks à la Japan, I went with a bear, three school girls, a manga character, two Pikachus and a pumpkin to the club. Now, this party started fairly early and we took the 5pm train. You think people were looking at us? Nah, not at all.






Oh, and the party had a costume contest - which I won :D ! The 5 contestants had to stand on the stage, each holding a voting bucket (I was number 3) and the other partyers would vote with a chocolate we were given at the entrance. So essentially you had to flatter the people into voting for you. Apparently I did it well, as I beat the Radish-Samurai (!) by 2-3 votes and won the grand prize! So psyched! Took so many photos with so many people after that. If I relied too much on my hair before, that's nothing, I repeat - nothing! - compared to now. So what was my prize? Well, a huge chocolate pretzel thing (see photo) + sweets + a Keio logo bag thing (that I've been wanting to get since I got here but never got around to!). So a happy Miss Moon indeed.

Random sign in Shibuya...
After this party we continued on (it ended at 8pm...) to Camelot, another club in Shibuya. Free entry with costume and £5 drinks. Won't complain. The music was awesome as well and around 10pm is started to fill up properly. Weird Japanese custom though - in a club, people face the DJ and sort of jump up and down rather than dance in circles with your friends and you'd see, well, anywhere else in the world. Also, they had TV screens showing the music videos of some of the songs played. Strange indeed. Foreigners as we are, however, we formed a circle, then jumped up on the stage and did rocked that club like there was no tomorrow.

Happy Halloween, peeps!

Jo x

No comments:

Post a Comment