2011/10/05

japanifying oneself

In my attempt to adjust to the culture here we have already seen a couple crucial steps:

- I don't eat while walking (huge no-no)
- I am über polite and say 'sorry' for everything (British politeness - you have met your overman here)
- I bow whenever necessary (and I sort of like this tradition. I feel very Medieval)

So in line with the above I have bought new clothes. Yes, mum, it was highly necessary. People here don't wear simple tops and shorts. They wear chinos. Blouses. And so on. Accordingly I ordered every blouse there was on ASOS and black smart trousers. All in the name of culture adaptation, naturally. Watch this space for photos.

Tomorrow it is time for the Japanese test of Katakana. I think I should pass it. With my new super knowledge I discovered 'plain' cereal in the supermarket today. How awesome! I might survive after all. 'Plain' would be pronounced pureenu. Find this one amusing? Try potato crisps: poteetu chippsu

Sometimes (once you forget about the stupid characters and silly rules) you've got to love this language.

Jo x

No comments:

Post a Comment