2011/10/06

hearts in the air

Believe it or not, this is one of the blouses I got in my Japanese Adaptation Scheme (JAS). If you know me you will spot at least 3 anomalies compared my usual style. I wonder if you can guess what they are?

Anyway, I finished my Arts Workshop self-portrait collage today and presented it to the class, without any major success. Completely forgot to take a picture of it but that's probably for the best. It looked like the work of a 5-year old, monkey. It involved pugs, basketball, Charles Dickens, knee MRIs, Gee Gervin, Jason Mraz, a Shakespearean sonnet and a stage among other things. Really not an artistic person, but it made me realise I do express myself 'better', or 'more' in words - a discovery that made me happy. Anything put in perspective...

Very glad Thursday is over, even if it went by relatively smoothly today. Had a Starbucks with a friend between classes where we discussed gay people, writing, future plans and so on. Very nice indeed.

Oh, and I got to flaunt my newly learnt Japanese in a live action situation! IRL so to speak! This morning in class we learnt about asking for directions and replying etc, and one of the phrases was 'what floor?' (nan gai) and then the reply in the very educational story (although she asked for the wine section - encouraging drinking, Japan?) was 'basement 1st floor' (chika ikai). Right. So later on in the day I had to print some stuff so went to the IT building where the printers are on - ho ho guess what - basement 1st floor! Got into the elevator (erebeetaa - true story) and this man asked me - ho ho HO guess what! - NAN GAI? And me, I swished my hair, looked him straight in the eye and said...chika ikai. Ho-ho-ho indeed!

(Turned out I'd gone in the wrong one as he was going up to the 7th floor rather than down, so I utterly managed to fail, but that is not the point of the story!!!)

Tomorrow is Friday (finally) and it offers a Welcome Party for foreign students with food and drinks  and such lovely delights, so that'll be fun. Weekend plans include basketball national league (BJ League) and Yagami Campus Festival (which sounds a lot fancier than it is, but there will be rougly 20 000 people visiting it during the two days). Fun, fun, fun!

Jo x

No comments:

Post a Comment