2011/09/12

gymming 2.0

Time to try the cheap gym. I'll admit, I had low expectations in going there considering the price (300 yen = £2.50 per session) but boy, did I not expect what I got.

To find it I had to pass the fancy gym and get onto the actual campus area of Hiyoshi campus. With map in hand like any other tourist I ventured up the slope below the trees (see picture) and followed the instructions on my foldable guide step by step. Without getting lost (yay me!) I reached a run-down sort of brick building which for all I could see what the Student's Union, also home of the gym. I went inside and it looked more like a warzone than anything else. Broken tables covered with papers and completely deserted. The dismal atmosphere was not helped by the loud playing of tuba and trumpet that came from the floor above. Oh, yes, another weird thing - all over campus there were people playing various instruments. A girl sitting practicing the oboe; two boys trumpeting away in an archway.

Anyway, I saw a sign on a door saying 10.30-17.30 - the opening hours of the gym, so I went for it. Turned out I was right in my assumption. And here the fun part begins. The guy in the reception showed me me the procedures. First you buy a ticket in the machine, go to the reception and write your name and starting time on their schedule. You hand in your student ID and get a locker key. So far, so good.

Then - then - he asked me if I had brought my own shoes. What? - err, yes. He gave me a stamp card and explained that every time I come to the gym and bring my own shoes, I get two stamps. When I reach seven stamps, I get one free ticket to the gym! Amazing! Sugoi!

About the gym itself, let any description be covered by the following: carpet, one treadmill with the sensation of running in the forest because of bubbly running surface, size of 1/4 basketball court, and would be crammed with any more than 10 people in there at the same time.

It made the RHUL gym seem like a palace in comparison! Yeah, not impressed.

Jo x

No comments:

Post a Comment