2011/09/16

washing

I attempted the washing machine today for the first time. As my Japanese flatmate is away, it looked as if it would turn out into a wild guessing game of knock-out Who Wants To Be a Millionaire type of thing. Naturally it is all written in Japanese and without as much as a comprehensive image to go by, it could go either way.

Add to this set-up that I could only hope I had bought laundry detergent and not softener or some other chemical solution. Needless to say, I felt confident...

After five minutes of figuring out how to switch on the damn thing, I shoved my clothes in (all black, less risk of destruction) and the - hopefully - laundry detergent. Closed the lid, pressed a couple of buttons just to see what happened and BOOM - managed to start the machine. Still having no clue what I'd just done. But there was not much else to do but to go back to my room and say a silent prayer to every deity out there that it would be ok.

Half an hour later the washing machine started beeping. Fortunately beeping is a universal language and I guessed it signified that the laundry was done. I think I was right. One can never be too sure. And the clothes smelled nice and looked about the right size still, so I can only assume that I have been successful in my first attempt! Go me!

They're hanging outside drying, so I'm not too comfortable calling out victory yet. Anything can happen still...

Jo x

1 comment:

  1. here is a tip: next time you have to figure out what those signs Japanese use for words mean get your laptop and google their meaning. it won't be 100% true but at least it minimizes the risk of wearing only pink for awhile :)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete