2011/09/07

the view

The view from my room. Looks better in real life. But here I'm sitting, in Yokohama, crickets singing like mad outside my open window, the JR railway chugging along and the whirr of the aircondition attempting to relieve the tropical heat that surrounds me. It's tranquil - serene -

After the house meeting this evening, we went to The Hub, a British pub. Talk about being far from home...anyway, got to talk to the other international people (and turns out about 90% of them speak Japanese. Surely that's cheating? Then again, who goes to Japan without knowing a single word...?). They're mostly Americans and Canadians, but wonder, wonder one other Swede and a UK guy!

Tomorrow is more orientation, and potentially getting of cell phone + checking out gym (7,000 yen per month! What's in there? Treadmills of pure gold? Leg press your weight in diamonds?). It's also freaking hot. Almost like being abroad...I still have trouble grasping the fact that I am in Japan. I shouldn't have, seeing as nobody speaks English and I've had to say 'wakarimasen' (I don't understand) more times than anything else today.

Nevertheless, on a premature verdict, Japan has personality, charm and a virtuous atmosphere.

Jo x

No comments:

Post a Comment